Saturday 9 May 2009

Orphée (Jean Cocteau, 1950)


Well, I might not have been too positive about the last Jean Cocteau film I reviewed, but this was a whole bunch better. Much of the visual fiesta has been preserved, with some interesting and fascinating special effects, a narrative I actually cared about and some more freaky stuff that is quite cool. So, Orphée...

Actually, I don’t have much to say about this film, I liked it, it was okay. Not brilliant, but good. One thing that got to me was why the hell does Cocteau like obnoxious characters? So the sisters were quite annoying, but here the main protagonist is a jerk, he is just insufferable. Anyway, the best part of this is the set designs, the mystery, and the awesome special effects, which are quite inventive. They work well towards the narrative, and help build the uncanny feeling this film possesses. Actually, with both Cocteau films, what he excels is the atmosphere and mystery. What is the story about? Well, I won’t bother elaborating too much about it, because it is a bit complex and I don’t think I could do justice to it. Anyway, it is a love story, of sorts, between this guy and his wife, and it gets solved because death is in love with the guy and... wait no, I’m not going to go further into it. This is going to be a short review.

You might sense that I am fairly apathetic in this review. Well, yeah, while I enjoyed this film, it wasn’t all that, and after all the stuff in the narrative, the only thing that had me really fascinated were the special effects, which were great. I don’t know, I just don’t really care too much for these films, I don’t love them, but I don’t particularly hate them either. They are just uninteresting to me, and at times it even feels as if the films aren’t even interested in themselves. So yeah, I’ve heard quite a bit of hype about Cocteau from the elite, but I just don’t buy it, there isn’t enough there for me to pick from, there aren’t any thought provoking moments, even when the film tries its best to be.

So, two Cocteau films seen, not really impressed, okay I guess, in their own ways. The cinematography and set design is great in both, and the special effects in Orphée are fantastic, and so that at least is something positive. Don’t think I’ll return to this guy in a while.

3 comments:

Frenzy said...

You should check out Cocteau's two best movies: The Blood of a poet from 1930 and The testament of Orpheus from 1960. His first and last films remain his best.

Gonzolaz said...

Thanks for the advice, I will probably check those films, but I'm not really in a hurry at the moment, as you might understand.

TParker said...

I thought somehow that Cocteau was making fun of poets and how self-centered they generally are.